Site Meter

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Both my daughters will be going to school tomorrow in shoes with holes in them.

11 days ago I bought Emily a new pair of school shoes, because she'd managed to wear through her last pair in record time.

Tonight I noticed that she has already managed to destroy the new pair. There is a hole at the back of one shoe, where the back of the shoe joins onto the sole, and there is a rip in the side of the other shoe.

I am very, very, annoyed. Also somewhat baffled, because, while these are fairly flimsy shoes - just flat black leather pumps - how the heck has she managed to make holes in them already? I have similar shoes, I walk similar distances, and my shoes are just fine.

I have decided that she's paying for her next pair of school shoes herself. Maybe that'll stop her doing whatever it is that she does to them. And she'll just have to wear the ones she's got till I have time to take her to buy yet another pair.

As for Sophie, I tried to replace her holey school shoes this past weekend. The two of us walked from shoe shop to shoe shop, looking at (literally) every single pair of black girls' shoes in the entire town, only to have Sophie reject them all, and (sobbing) say she'd rather die than wear any of the myriad of available new shoes. So I gave up.

And so it is that I will soon be known across Reigate as That Mother Whose Children Do Not Have Proper Shoes.

Oh, and just for the record - it's still raining. And my washing is still on the line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are that mother of the silly girls who don't care if they have proper shoes. Place the blame in the proper place, if you please!

Anonymous said...

are these special uniform shoes?

Annalise said...

Thanks Cate :)

Chris, yes, these are school uniform shoes, but (unlike the uniforms of my youth) there is a fair amount of flexibility allowed - basically they can choose any flat black shoe they like...

Anonymous said...

LOL I know that shoe story well, my boys are shockers with school shoes ... wearing and choosing.