Site Meter

Friday, October 08, 2004



From the doorway to Stephen's room.

Not a pretty sight, really. And it only gets worse as you progress further into the room.

I'm not a pretty sight right now either. My sore throat cold thing went into the sneezy watery eye phase yesterday, and today I'm in the constant nose-blowing bit. Yuck. I'm always amazed by just how revolting colds are.

Despite my cold, today should be fun. I'm going to buy some furniture for our empty living room. This is the room that you see as you walk into the house. It faces onto the pool (if you stand at the front door, you look across a tiled area, into this room, and out of the sliding glass door onto the patio) and currently it contains only the TV and a motley assortment of pillows. Looks really good when visitors arrive. Because there're no chairs in there, we've been using the room for board games (big expanses of carpet are great for games like Monopoly), and of course for watching our netflix movies.

A couple of evenings ago, I was outside, tidying up the patio area. It was dark, so, from the outside, the brightly lit living room looked almost like a film set. Bobby, Stephen and Sophie were sprawled about on pillows. They were all rather disheveled and slightly disreputable looking. Then Em strolled in ready to do her shot, and started nonchalantly tapping on the vial to see if there were any air bubbles. It looked like something out of Trainspotting.

It was then that I decided that I was going to take the plunge and get some furniture. At least with furniture we'll just look like disheveled drug addicts, rather than disheveled drug addicted squatters.

I lured Bobby into a furniture store yesterday (kidnapped him on the way to a lunch date) and kept him in there for a whole 6 minutes. He found the experience so gruelling that, as we fled the pushy salesman with his cries of "no interest till you're dead", he told me that he didn't care what furniture we got so long as he didn't have to be involved in its buying.

So today I'm going to buy (I think) a sofa and a chair. Should be fun. I'm also taking Sophs to a homeschool co-op at a nearby park, and going grocery shopping, and (I hope, if I have time) clearing out a little bed in the back yard to plant some herbs. And tomorrow it's the weekend! Yay!

No comments: