I went to Sophie's Year 6 Leaver's Assembly this morning. Tuesday will be her last day at junior school; when school goes back at the beginning of September she'll be starting secondary school. My baby!!! In secondary school!!!
I got slightly weepy during the assembly; fortunately, however, the weirdness of the recorder ensemble playing "Every Breath You Take" dispelled some of the emotion. (Well, I thought it was weird, everyone else seemed to take it in their stride). I was very proud, though - Sophie tied for first place in the Science SATS tests that they've just written, so she'll be coming home with a certificate and a book token.
It is lovely not being at work. Life is so relaxing. Instead of scrambling through breakfast I had time to have an extra cup of coffee and chat to Bobby. Instead of flinging myself out of the door in a rush, I had time to do Sophie's hair in a French plait, and time to help Emily choose the perfect top. Instead of having to negotiate time off for this morning's assembly (or, more likely, not go because I couldn't leave my classes in the lurch) I was able to cycle over to the church hall where they held the assembly, then meander up the hill to the shops to buy baking ingredients. This afternoon I've scrubbed the kitchen floor (am rather disconcerted to see that it is now a totally different colour - seriously, I got bored half-way though and wanted to stop, but I had to persevere as the difference was so marked), caught up on the laundry, and baked tiny adorable chocolate cupcakes for a celebration dessert. I'm going to read for a couple of hours now, and then I'll start a vegetable curry - thinking of making naan bread to go with it. I am overwhelmed by the luxury of having all this TIME.
A New Beginning
13 years ago
5 comments:
Reading the part about the recorder ensemble caused my first out loud laughter of the day. Thank you.
Sounds grand and glorious. Enjoy!
Sounds wonderful. Enjoy it to its fullest!
Congrats to Sophie!
Hearing a recorder ensemble is bad enough, but a bunch of kids playing the Ode to Stalking is really maybe over the top for me!!
The rest of your day sounds simply divine (well, maybe not scrubbing the floor). :) Enjoy your life as a lady of leisure!!
Post a Comment