Unexploded bombs not withstanding, I got to the conference on time, and found it fascinating, in a frustrating sort of way - frustrating, because it now looks as though almost all my timetable is going to be Sociology teaching, so I may not get to use many of today's creative ideas for teaching the new Psychology spec. I'm not getting too stressed yet, because things have a habit of changing where I work, but I must admit I am slightly anxious.
After the conference, it was such a glorious day that I couldn't bear to dive straight back into the underground system, so I walked across the road to Kensington Gardens and spent half-an-hour relaxing on the grass, in the sun. Bliss. I'm always amazed by how much green space there is in London.
After a while, I walked over to the Round Pond. I'm never quite sure how I feel about swans. On the one hand, they can be really beautiful; on the other hand their necks always strike me as sort of snakey.
I spent slightly longer than I'd planned in the park, so I had to move super-fast in order to make my train. This involved running up all those loooooong escalators when I changed lines on the underground. Thing is, once you start moving fast up one of those things, you can't stop without losing face, and you also don't want to look as though you're struggling - so it's a great cardio workout, and you have to pretend that you're not in the least tired as you do it. I was ecstatic to make my train with literally five seconds to spare; would have been livid if I'd missed it after all that !
3 comments:
What a riot! I'm surprised you even got back in the underground after that!
I had to read it aloud to the family. We all had a good laugh.
Love your observation about the long escalators in the Tube. I almost never run on escalators (or even moving sidewalks) but two weeks ago when I was travelling alone with Gideon we had a tight connection (actually a loose one which we squandered such that it became tight) and I had to blaze through the tunnel from one terminal to another. It was a cardio workout *and* I lost face because I couldn't make it through the whole tunnel (with stroller, backpack, and snack bag) without slowing to a walk.
Anyway...I guess I should hit the gym from time to time.
oh my. so did they find the bomb and
disarm it?
GLad you were safely commuted :)
hannah
Post a Comment