Site Meter

Thursday, February 10, 2005


A question-and-answer thing via Lili.

1. What time did you get up this morning?

5.45.

2. Diamonds or pearls?

I have a diamond engagement ring, and I have a pearl necklace (present from my grandfather) but I'm not really a jewellery person at all. If I had to pick, I'd say I like silver and turquoise best, currently.

3. What was the last film you saw at the Cinema?


Sheesh. We haven't been in a while - Netflix has meant that we go out quite a bit less. I'll have to admit that I think the last movie we saw in a real theater was the Lemony Snicket one. In mitigation, I will mention that we are going to see Bad Education on Saturday with some friends.

4. What is your favorite TV show?

Haven't watched TV in eight months now so I don't have a current favourite. I used to enjoy Changing Rooms, though, mainly for the cringe factor.

5. What did you have for breakfast?

Haven't had it yet, but I will be eating strawberries and blueberries, and drinking tea. I will also be making french toast for the kids.

6. What is your middle name?

I don't have one. I always felt a little cheated by that.

7. What is your favorite cuisine?

Indian (didn't need to change Lili's answer there!)

8. What foods do you dislike?

I'm not keen on meat - haven't eaten any in a long time. Don't like yoghurt either, and I tasted grits for the first time recently and think they are perfectly foul.

9. What kind of car do you drive?

A 2001 Honda Odyssey. I feel a bit guilty about driving a minivan but I love my car! It's so nice having a van when we have our parents to stay, it means we can all pack into one car when we go places instead of caravanning. It's been a very reliable car, and the way the back seat folds down is amazing. I needed space in the back yesterday and it it took me under thirty seconds to make the back row of seats vanish. The reason I needed space is that my parents bought us a thank-you-for-having-us gift - a round kitchen table. It's so nice to be able to eat in the kitchen!

10. Favorite Sandwich?

Avocado mashed with vinegar, salt and pepper, with alfalfa sprouts, on decent multi-grain bread.

11. What characteristic do you despise?

Unkindness.

12. Favorite item of clothing?

A dress I bought in Cape Town in 2000 - it's from Zimbabwe, in shades of blue, and it's long cool and soft and comfortable and pretty.

13. If you could go anywhere in the world for a holiday where would you go?

China.

14. What color is your bathroom?

Creamish beigeish, with white floor tiles and gold-coloured fittings. Definitely not our taste, but I know we'll never change it. Such is our apathy when it comes to decorating.

15. Favorite brand of clothing?

Don't have a favourite brand - I buy according to comfort and price.

16. Where would you like to retire?

To a beautiful apartment in the centre of some big city, where Bobby and I could walk to the theatre and the market and wonderful coffee shops and book stores. There should also be wonderful playgrounds where we could take our grandchildren (if we are lucky enough to have any).


17. Favorite time of the day?

Now is good, before everyone else wakes up. So is coffee after dinner, when the kitchen's done and I finally sit down again.

18. What was your most memorable birthday?

On my 30th birthday, we left Durban, having sold our house and most of our possessions - that was an exciting day. It felt like a whole new start to life.


9. Where were you born?

Harare, Zimbabwe. It was Salisbury, Rhodesia then, though.

20. Favorite sport to watch?

Some of Steve's climbing DVD's are pretty gripping. Gosh I crack myself up. I probably shouldn't get up this early.

21. What are you wearing right now?

White capris, black shirt, silver earrings.

22. What star sign are you?

Sagittarius. I've never felt at all Sagittarian though. Aren't they supposed to be terribly hearty and sporty?

23. What fabric detergent do you use?

Arm & Hammer.

24. Pepsi or Coke?

Coke when we have pizza; otherwise, neither.

25. Are you a morning person or a night owl?

My natural inclination is to sleep late and go to bed early; however for the past decade and a half I have been getting up early and going to to bed late by choice. If I didn't I'd never have a moment to myself.

26. What is your shoe size?

3 UK, 5 or (I think) 5.5 US.

27. Do you have any pets?

Julius the gerbil and Moo the cat.

28. Any new exciting news you'd like to share with your family and friends?

Nope.

29. What did you want to be when you were little?

A teacher.

30. What will you be doing today?

Going to school with Em, where we get to eat breakfast with the principal. It's supposed to be a treat for the straight-A kids and their parents,and we missed the last one because Em had to see the endo. Then I will come home and Soph and I will read the chapter in our book about Monet, and do all the cool art activities, because on Sunday we're going to St Pete to see the Monet exhibition. At 4.30 I have to pick up the girl scout cookies. You know, there is nothing about this whole cookie thing that I find fun. Nothing. It's all a big chore for me. I am such a grinch. Then I will cook supper and we will gulp it down and be at climbing by 7 for the kids' practice. Also, I have to schedule Moo's rabies shot, and be home to accept a delivery of Em's meds.

31. What is your favorite quality about yourself?

I try really hard to treat other people as I'd like to be treated.

32. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Lemon sorbet. I don't like regular ice-cream.

33. What is your favorite CD at the moment?

I have two current favourites : REM's "Around the Sun" and the Fastbacks' "Truth, Corrosion and Sour Bisquits".

34. Best compliment you ever got:

Being asked to be godmother and guardian to a friend's two children.

35. Are you superstitious?

Not at all.

36. Favorite thing to cook/make?

Soup. I find all the chopping soothing.

37. Favorite quote:

This one, from Gandhi :
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

38. Favorite movie:

Oh, I have so many. A Room With A View. Amelie. Blue, from the Colours trilogy. Raising Victor Vargas. In America.

39. Favorite book:

I can't possibly pick just one. One that I just finished that I loved is The Time Traveler's Wife. I thought it was amazingly well constructed and beautifully written.

40. Hardest lesson ever learned:

You can't do everything.

41. Something you would recommend to everyone to do at least once:

Live in a foreign country.

No comments: