Site Meter

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I took Latin up till matric - and for one year at university - and enjoyed it very much. So when I stumbled across a listing for Minimus : Starting out in Latin it seemed like it might be fun for the kids. It's the junior version of the high school Cambridge Latin Course, which is the whole-language based course that we used in the first couple of years of high school. Lots of background historical and cultural information, and you get to start reading Latin straight away. And, since I know enough Latin that I don't need the teacher's book that goes with it, perfectly affordable.

It arrived a couple of days ago, and all three of the kids are getting a huge kick out of it. Sophie is particularly excited, and wants to whizz ahead while the big kids are at school because "It'll be so cool, mom. I'll be able to talk and no-one will understand anything I say. It'll be my own secret language." I don't think she quite gets the point of language as a communication tool ...

No comments: