Site Meter

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Damn it. My bread machine has let me down.

The dough was still all lumpy and bumpy when it started the baking process, so the top of the finished loaf looks weird. And it seems that it hasn't risen properly: it's smaller than usual, and the bread looks as though it has a denser texture. And I'm certain I used the right quantities of everything.

Phooey. Supper was supposed to be cheese, salad, fruit and bread. We can either eat now, before we go climbing - it'll have to be cheese, salad and fruit - or we can eat when we get home, in which case I can put another loaf in and see if we have better luck with that one. Of course the danger with plan B is that the second loaf will be horrible as well.

I'm going to be really sad if my bread maker is giving up the ghost. I rely on that machine. Aside from fact that the bread it bakes is delicious, I love the way it just does it all by itself, without moaning or complaining or having to be nagged or wanting anything back from me. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe it's just sick and tired of being taken for granted.

No comments: